It was on 21 September 1904 when two brothers, Hendrik A and Bernadus J Bakels, registered the first Bakels company in Amsterdam.
The Bakels Group as we know it today is largely the result of the vision and lifetime work of the son of Bernardus, Bernard J Bakels. He led the company into manufacturing with the establishment, in 1943, of Nordbakels in Sweden.
Through a mixture of investment and innovation additional companies, and successful products, were added through each decade up until his death in 1986. Since then this successful mix continues to be applied – investment increases every year to accompany innovative new products.
By remaining a private company owned by a foundation established by Bernard J Bakels we have grown to become a group nearly 40 companies, manufacturing on all five continents.
Bakels owes its success not just to investment in facilities and innovation but also in our people, whose dedication to our company and the customers we serve has been a feature of Bakels for over 100 years. Investment is increasingly being applied to training people, young and old, in essential bakery skills.
Specialist training centres have been established in a number of Bakels companies and all Bakels technical staff will happily assist customers in gaining new, or improving existing, expertise.
Bakels manufacture and distribute a wide range of bakery ingredients, some of which are tailor made for industrial bakeries while others are developed specifically for the craft sector.
Products are formulated to suit each bakery sector and many of the Bakels companies have well established sales and technical teams focused on serving either the industrial or craft bakery sectors. The industrial teams in the larger Bakels companies are even more specialised with separate industrial bread bakery, pastry or cake and confectionery service teams in place. Customer service teams are also set up to provide expert support to their respective customers.
As a professional bakery ingredient supplier, serving specific market sector requirements does not stop at product development. Packaging (from small packs to road tankers) and equipment to support product application are also tailored to ensure that whatever size our customers are, whatever products they are producing, Bakels can supply appropriate products and support.
Beside supplying fine bakery ingredients, Bakels Malaysia follow the Bakels policy of providing a high standard of product applications expertise and service excellence to our customers, with our selected advisors giving intensive bakery knowledge and training to customers. Contact us for bakery ingredient, Malaysia.
Our office/factory premises houses a specially designed test bakery with well-equipped facilities used for routine testing and quality control of products produced by the company before release to the trade. Adjoining the test bakery is a theatrette with a seating capacity of 30-50 for purpose of conducting product demonstrations to the bakers and confectioners who are our customers and potential customers. These sessions are conducted from time to time to introduce new products and share new applications of existing products with our customers.
Training sessions for the sales force are also being held here periodically to enhance their skills and to familiarize them with newly-launched products in order to continually provide good technical back-up services to our customers and lead the trade in product innovation.
Like all our other manufacturing sister companies within the Group, Bakels Malaysia also boost an in-house QC/R&D team who works very closely with our research centers in New Zealand, Australia, etc. on technical issues like product improvement, product innovation and product development, etc.
The production facility at BM comprises two plants – a Powder Plant and a Fats Plant. More than 90% of the products marketed by Bakels Malaysia are manufactured locally in Malaysia utilizing readily available major local raw materials like palm oils and fats, flour, sugar, etc. The products produced at our Shah Alam factory comprise cakes mixes, bread improvers and emulsifiers, cake emulsifiers, emulsified fats, creaming and pastry margarines, pan release agent, fillings, flavouring pastes, etc. The locally produced products are sold both domestically as well as export to countries in the ASEAN region.
Our current warehouse has a cold room with forkhoist access which will enable heat-sensitive products to be stored under ideal conditions until delivery to the customer to ensure freshness. This new warehouse equipped with the latest racking system housing a larger cold room is now in use. With an additional space of 1200 sq m, we are poised to serve our customers even better.
All major Bakels Companies with manufacturing facilities have their own R&D department to carry out product development work or adapting products to suit local market needs.
With no exception, Bakels Malaysia also has its own R&D department. Being one of the pioneer baking ingredients manufacturers in Malaysia, the R&D team plays an extremely important role in keeping pace with product development and market trends. The team is headed by a well-trained staff with Food Technology degree assisted by bakers with vast experience and knowledge in baking. We have good R&D facilities such as a well-equipped test kitchen and laboratory for conducting development works. We conduct ambitious research works such as formulating new products, product efficacy enhancement, recipe development, analysis and critical sourcing of new raw materials both for cost and product quality improvements, processing techniques innovation, etc.
Our Sales Team comprises well-qualified and experienced bakers who also help R&D personnel in trouble-shoot problems. They are not only skillful but highly creative with innovative ideas on product applications and recipes development.
Bakels Malaysia’s R&D team also receives technical support from the research centers in Australia and New Zealand. With their state-of-the-art R&D facilities coupled with their expertise, they certainly help to strengthen and expedite our development work. Moreover, with over 30 Bakels companies round the world working hand-in-glove and sharing experiences and know-hows, Bakels Malaysia is well poised to offer its customers the latest in baking technologies, ingredients, recipes, ideas, etc and thereby assisting them to grow and progress their business in tandem with the increasingly discerning consumer demands and market trends.
BAKELS Always Think Globally, Work Locally
In line with the Bakels Policy in providing a high standard of product applications expertise and service excellence to our customers, we are proud to proclaim that we take special efforts to select our bakery advisors with good interpersonal and baking skills as front liners. Upon joining, they are given intensive training by our in-house experienced advisors on Bakels’ wide range of products and applications. Brainstorming sessions and discussions are held regularly to analyse and solved problems confronting our customers.
Besides promoting Bakels products, they also constantly update their respective customers with newly-launched products and new product applications by conducting demonstration sessions at our well-equipped test bakery. There have been many instances where apprentice bakers of customers were being trained at our test kitchen on specific baking skills by our advisors to enhance their baking knowledge and exposure.
Our very experienced technical colleagues from overseas (eg. NZ, Australia, etc.) often lend their valuable support by helping us in conducting plant trials at our customer site when required besides training and imparting know-hows to our personnel.
We also have access to technical expertise within the group of companies worldwide in analysing, formulating and tailor-make products in accordance to specific customer requirements.
In appreciation of our customers’ loyalty, Bakels Group of companies also give away occasionally exclusive promotional items which are tailor-made with the Bakels ‘Crown’ logo like the serrated/baguette knives, plastic scrapers in various shapes and sizes, stainless steel cutter, aprons, etc. These items have proven to be an all-time favourite to our customers as they are very useful and are made from extremely high quality materials.
- Apito Chocolate Rice, Apito Colour Rice, Apito Cooking Chocolate
- Bakels Compound Chocolate, Fino Dark Chocolate Button, Fino Dark Chocolate Chips
- Apito Plain Moist Cake Mix, Bakels Date Cake Mix, Bakels Margarine Special
- Bakels Premium Softener
- Apito Baguette Mix, Apito Baguette Mix (FM), Apito Banana Paste, Apito Biscuit Mix, Apito Blueberry Paste, Apito Butter Flavoured Oils, Apito Butterscotch Paste, Apito Caramel, Apito Chocolate Emulco
- Apito Coffee Essence, Apito Durian Paste, Apito Expresso Paste, Apito Fruit Cake Paste, Apito Garlic Spread, Apito Green Tea Paste, Apito Lemon Paste, Apito Mango Paste, Apito Mocha Paste
- Apito Orange Paste, Apito Panco Paste, Apito Pandan Paste, Apito Peppermint Paste, Apito Pineapple Paste, Apito Soft Donut Mix, Apito Strawberry Paste, Apito Vanilla, Apito Vanilla Vanolla
- Apito Yam /Taro Paste, Bacom A100, Bakels American Muffin Mix, Bakels Bake Stable Custard Mix, Bakels Blueberry Muffin Mix, Bakels Bread Fat, Bakels Bread Fat A118, Bakels Butta Blends
- Bakels Butter Cake Mix, Bakels Cake Stabilizer, Bakels Caramel Lava Cake Mix, Bakels Chocolate Sponge Mix, Bakels Country Herb Base, Bakels Country Oven Multiseed Bread Mix, Bakels Creme Cake Mix, Bakels Cremello
- Bakels Crusty Bread Concentrate, Bakels Cup Cake Mix 55T, Bakels Dehydrated Sour Dough, Bakels Deluxe Chocolate Lava Cake Mix, Bakels Eggless Cake Mix, Bakels Golden Cake Doughnut Mix, Bakels Kiwi Fruit Filling, Bakels Kiwi Muffin Mix
- Bakels Lemon Filling, Bakels Mango Filling, Bakels Margarine P, Bakels Milk Bun Concentrate, Bakels Orange & Poppy Seed Muffin Mix, Bakels Orange Filling
- Bakels Pancake Mix, Bakels Pineapple Muffin Mix, Bakels Potato Bread Concentrate, Bakels Premier Pineapple Muffin Mix, Bakels Premier Strawberry Muffin Mix, Bakels RH Rich Muffin Mix, Bakels Sponge Mix (M), Bakels Sponge Mix Complete
- Bakels Steam Cup Cake Mix, Bakels Strawberry Filling, Bakels Waffle Mix, Butta Butteroils Substitute, Butta Vanilla, Chocolate Chips Cream Cake Mix, Colset
- CSP 60, Dobrim High Speed Nobro, Fino Blueberry Filling, Fino Bun Mix
- Fino Coffee Boy Part 2, Fino Domino Mix, Fino Dusting Sugar, Fino Potato Flakes, Fino Scone Mix, Fino SR MiX Special T17, Fino Strawberry Filling, Fino Super Sponge Complete
- Goliath Graham Bread Mix, Hercules Baking Powder, Hercules Baking Powder Double Acting
- Lecinta 200 Nobro, Lecinta Instant Nobro, Lecinta Nobro, Lecitem Pumpable S, Lecitem Supreme, Lecitem Universal, Lecivol 6000
- Master Fat, Monofresh, Ovalett Special, Ovalett Special Clear / Ovalett Special (NC), P3, Pandan Kaya Premix, Pettina Butter Cake Mix, Pettina Chiffon Cake Mix
- Pettina Chocolate Sponge Mix Complete/ Sponge Mix Chocolate, Pettina Cup Cake Mix, Pettina Kokomix, Pettina Piping Jelly, Pettina Sponge Mix Compte (Azo Free), Pettina Sponge Mix Complete/ Sponge Mix Plain, Potato Bread Mix, Rotitex, Slicex
- Starcel S, Starlight Pastry Fat, Super Glossy, Tinclear, Tincol, Tinglide, Tinoff, Vegetable Tinclear, Voltem S
- Apito Sandwich Mix, Bakels Chocolate Lava Cake Mix
- Bakels Multifibre Cake Mix, Bakels Multiseed Blend, Bakels Premier Butterscotch Muffin Mix, Bakels Premier Chocolate Muffin Mix, Bakels Premier Muffin Mix
- Bakels Maize Optima, Bakels Multiseed Blend, Bakels Pau Mix
- Bakels Premier Butterscotch Muffin Mix, Bakels Premier Chocolate Muffin Mix, Bakels Premier Muffin Mix
- Bakels Whole Wheat Bread Mix, Bakels Wholemeal Bread Mix, Broma Special (Food Additives), Fino Malt Base, Hercules Baking Powder (Double Acting) H2, K2000 Lemon (Food Additives), Lecinta Bread Improver
- Bakels Chocolate Fudge Sauce
- Bakels RTU Lemon Filling
- Bakels Bandung Limau Flavoured Topping, Bakels Jackfruit Flavoured Topping, Bakels Lavender Flavoured Topping, Bakels Melon Flavoured Topping, Bakels Milk Bun Concentrate (E), Bakels Pavlova Mix
- Bakels Red Velvet Cake Mix, Pettina Cheesecake Mix
- Actiwhite, Apito Butterscotch Booster, Apito Chocolate Moist Cake Mix, Apito Garlic Seasoning Spread, Bakels 10 Grains Bread Mix, Bakels 8 Grains Base, Bakels All-in Choc Chunk Brownie Mix, Bakels Chia Seed Bread Concentrate
- Bakels Sponge Mix Complete (M), Bakels Sultana, Bakels Wheat Bran Sandwich Concentrate
Fino Shortening, Quantum Universal, Sandwich Bread Mix, Wheat Bran Sandwich Concentrate
- Bakels Dark Choco Fudge, Bakels Golden Sauce, Bakels Light Cheese Cake Mix
- Bakels Savoury Muffin Mix, Bakels Shortbread Premix
- Bakels Blue Velvet Cake Mix, Bakels Butterscotch Bread Concentrate, Bakels Cereal and Honey Bread Concentrate, Bakels Chewy Bun Mix, Bakels Chocolate Supreme Sponge Mix
- Bakels Rye Meal Bread Concentrate, Bakels Soy and Linseed Bread Concentrate
- Fino Sponge Cake Mix (E)
- Bakels Gula Melaka Lava Cake Mix